Natalie Brophy, Wausau Daily Herald
Wildlife officials believe another pet dog has been poisoned in Wisconsin’s Northwoods — the second such incident this month.
A 4-year-old yellow Labrador died suddenly Tuesday while on public land in the town of Alvin in Forest County with its owner, according to the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources. On April 1, a 3-year-old German shepherd died while walking on a leash on public land in Forest County.
Both dogs died quickly after consuming substances placed on and along gravel roads just south of the Michigan border.
Lab results are pending to determine the dogs’ causes of death, but the DNR and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service believe this latest death is related to a string of fatal animal poisonings in Forest, Marinette and Florence counties. Seven domestic dogs and other wildlife such as birds, coyotes, weasels, raccoons and wolves have died from poison.
“As the COVID-19 public health emergency is on, more people are practicing social distancing while walking outdoors with pets,” according to the DNR. “The public is advised to use dog leashes and watch for signs — such as dead wildlife — that poison may be in the area.”
Those who have information about these incidents — no matter how insignificant it may seem — should contact the DNR violation hotline by calling or texting 800-847-9367 or online at dnrx.wisconsin.gov/rav. The hotline is in operation 24 hours a day, seven days a week and the reporter may remain anonymous.